- This event has passed.
All Kent – Healthy Bees Day
April 28 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£10
An all-Kent Bee Health Day is being held in conjunction with the National Bee Unit and sponsored by Bee Diseases Insurance Ltd.
Delivering the sessions will be the bee inspectors Sandra Gray (RBI), Kay Wreford, Mark Patterson and Michael Cooper (SBIs).
The course will include:
- an opportunity to examine combs with EFB, AFB (protective and disinfectant materials will be provided)
- see these relatively rare Notifiable diseases at first hand
- combs will also be available with lesser conditions such as sacbrood, chalkbrood
- in the apiary, learn the techniques employed by inspectors in looking for Notifiable diseases
- see also the techniques used to check colonies for exotic pests, such as Small Hive Beetle and Tropilaelaps
- learn the latest legal situation and current Best Practice in the control of varroa
- see the various varroacides available, discuss their pros and cons
- learn about biotechnical (Husbandry, non-chemical) methods of varroa control
- hear about the current situation in respect of the Asian Hornet, how to detect it and how to report it.
- this is an opportunity to quiz the Bee Inspectors and to network with beekeepers from all over the County
Cost per person: £10, to include tea/coffee, but bring your own packed lunch.
Bookings can be made on the KSRC website